This leads me nicely on to my next topic of choice - nurseries! By the time Master Read is born we will hopefully have moved back to the Northern Beaches - albeit in a rental property for a couple of years - so any plans I make with regards to nursery decor need to be non-permanent - i.e. no painting, no wall-papering. I think he will probably sleep in our room in a bassinette whilst he's still tiny but I'm still excited to prepare a beautiful nursery for him anyway.
Now... if we were having a girl I'd have no problem with inspiration for nursery decor - pale pinks, greens, lemon, polka dots, shabby chic, fairies... easy... but for a boy it's a little more difficult. There's cars, animals, surf theme, transport theme - aeroplanes & boats, safari, jungle, nautical, space, the list is endless... but I want to do something a bit different - well, for out here in Australia, anyway - and I'd also like Master Read to have some kind of link back to the UK so after much Googling I think I've pretty much decided on my theme...
(I say 'I' because Adam has kindly given me artistic license on this little project!!)
Peter Rabbit!
There are some great pictures on the net of Peter Rabbit-inspired nurseries - here's just a small sample for your viewing pleasure:-
I love the soft greens and browns and baby blues and Peter Rabbit himself is just adorable don't you think?! I also think that it's not too boyish of a theme so if we're lucky enough to have another Baby Read down the line and we're still in the same place it can be passed down.
Of course, the basis for any nursery is not just the theme but the furniture too... I like this range from IKEA (bargain or what)... the antique-looking beech would go nicely with the greens & browns...
Next... for the walls. Obviously I won't be able to paint or stick anything permanent up so I really like the idea of removable wall decals. I've been hunting high & low to find a tree of some description that could go in the corner of the room with the branches spreading out across the walls but they all seem a bit modern... here's a couple I do like though:-
After furniture & walls it's all down to the little details and I've put together a bit of a montage of 'stuff' I like. The 'Portraits of Peter' in the top left-hand corner are prints which I would frame in the same wood as the nursery furniture, the mobile for the cot is just lovely and plays Mozart's 'Lullaby' - calming or what?! - the bedding is neutral greens & browns to tie in nicely with the wood of the cot and the green of the wall decal and I would have a book-shelf with the Beatrix Potter library and book-ends on it and perhaps the blue words spelling 'Baby' on the window-sill.
The other little touches such as the door hanger, clock and wooden wall decoration where Peter is munching on some carrots would finish the room off nicely.
I think I'm all Peter-Rabbited out for now but would love to hear your feedback on my ideas...
In other news I'm pleased to say I'm feeling well apart from a little backache now & then but I've invested in a pregnancy support pillow which seems to help. Only problem is there's not much room for Adam in the bed now!!!







I posted and it ate my message! Love this theme - really lovely for a little boy and so sweet. I especially like those wall stickers and the words are gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteDid you see the Peter Rabbit birthday party i posted a few weeks ago?
Love you
Rachie xo