Countdown

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Saturday, April 16, 2011

'Baby Brain' and our 2nd appointment with Dr Boyce

We had scheduled our 2nd appointment with Dr Boyce for Friday 8th April 2011 at 11:50am but somewhere between the clocks changing & being overtired = baby brain, I managed to get a bit confused and didn't actually end up leaving home to drive to NSP until 11:45pm - oops! There was no way I was going to make it in time.

A couple of embarrassed calls later - to Adam & Dr B's secretary - I got on the road - and only ended up being about 20 mins or so late.

Our 2nd appt was way more relaxed than the the first and much quicker and - MUCH TO MY DELIGHT - Dr B has his own ultrasound machine in his rooms so I got to hop up on the bed and take a quick peek at Baby Read who was bouncing around & high-kicking like a dancer/footballer! It was so nice to see him/her again and know that he/she is still healthy & doing well in there - I felt a bit tearful...

Dr B is such a gentleman too - after my scan he put his arm straight out in front of me, told me to grab on with both hands and then he lifted me to a sitting position - I was a bit confused at first but it was so nice!

As for next steps... more blood tests and another scan to be peformed at 12 weeks - the Nuchal Translucency scan - this is a screening test for assessing the risk of Baby Read having Down's Syndrome. What they do is test the amount of fluid behind the neck of the fetus - also known as the 'Nuchal Fold' - fetuses at higher risk of Down's tend to have a higher amount of fluid around the neck.

Dr B has already reassured me that someone of my age and height/weight and health should be at low risk but I guess we'll have to wait to see on Wednesday.

Hopefully I'll get a picture too which I'll be sure to post on here if so!

I can't wait for the magical 12-week milestone - I can finally tell everyone and publish this blog - as I type this there's only a few days to go...


No comments:

Post a Comment